GSoC Project | Basic Support for Trace Compass

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri May 24 11:21:43 UTC 2019

Hello Ravindra,

----- Am 22. Mai 2019 um 7:40 schrieb Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de:

> On 21/05/2019 20:21, Ravindra Kumar Meena wrote:
>> Hi Sebastian,
>>
>> I followed https://diamon.org/ctf/ and tried to code.
>
> Which code did you try?
>
> Did you have a look at babeltrace?
>
> https://diamon.org/babeltrace/
>
> I would start with this if I had to convert an arbitrary format to CTF.
>
>> I forked the rtems-tools and made a commit.
>> https://github.com/rmeena840/rtems-tools/commit/e1917f5afeba051e4e87285eed9e36b2591dc643
>>
>> Please have a look and let me know if I am going in the right direction.
>
> Please don't add this stuff to recorddata.h, use a separate header, e.g.
> recordctf.h
>

>> I would like to ask one thing that at 5.1 of https://diamon.org/ctf/
>> it is mentioned that "trace.packet.header" is required. Since, It was
>> not there I was getting error at:
>>
>> trace {
>>     /* ... */
>>     packet.header := struct event_packet_header;
>> };
>>
>> Is there any need requirement of file or library?
>
> Please try to use babeltrace first.

How is your progress in this area?

With respect to the conversion to CTF, please keep also in mind that CTF is a generic format and we are interested in a particular consumer, which is the Trace Compass.

In this ticket I already mentioned to options:

https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696

"To tackle problem 3. there are two approaches possible. You can extend the Trace Compass to work with the trace data provided by RTEMS as is. Alternatively, the RTEMS trace data could be converted to Linux kernel trace data (lttng) which Trace Compass already understands."