GSoC Project | Basic Support for Trace Compass

Ravindra Kumar Meena rmeena840 at gmail.com
Fri May 24 14:07:24 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 4:51 PM Sebastian Huber <

> Hello Ravindra,
>
> ----- Am 22. Mai 2019 um 7:40 schrieb Sebastian Huber
> sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de:
>
> > On 21/05/2019 20:21, Ravindra Kumar Meena wrote:
> >> Hi Sebastian,
> >>
> >> I followed https://diamon.org/ctf/ and tried to code.
> >
> > Which code did you try?
> >
> > Did you have a look at babeltrace?
> >
> > https://diamon.org/babeltrace/
> >
> > I would start with this if I had to convert an arbitrary format to CTF.
> >
> >> I forked the rtems-tools and made a commit.
> >>
> https://github.com/rmeena840/rtems-tools/commit/e1917f5afeba051e4e87285eed9e36b2591dc643
> >>
> >> Please have a look and let me know if I am going in the right direction.
> >
> > Please don't add this stuff to recorddata.h, use a separate header, e.g.
> > recordctf.h
> >

> >> I would like to ask one thing that at 5.1 of https://diamon.org/ctf/
> >> it is mentioned that "trace.packet.header" is required. Since, It was
> >> not there I was getting error at:
> >>
> >> trace {
> >>     /* ... */
> >>     packet.header := struct event_packet_header;
> >> };
> >>
> >> Is there any need requirement of file or library?
> >
> > Please try to use babeltrace first.
>
> How is your progress in this area?

I was going through babeltrace(https://diamon.org/babeltrace/)
documentation. The whole documentation of babeltrace is described in
python. On documentation, I found that It only works with python3.

Do I have to code in python to trace the C/C++ application?

> With respect to the conversion to CTF, please keep also in mind that CTF
> is a generic format and we are interested in a particular consumer, which
> is the Trace Compass.

Okay

> In this ticket I already mentioned to options:
>
> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696
>
> "To tackle problem 3. there are two approaches possible. You can extend
> the Trace Compass to work with the trace data provided by RTEMS as is.
> Alternatively, the RTEMS trace data could be converted to Linux kernel
> trace data (lttng) which Trace Compass already understands."

Okay

--
*Ravindra Kumar Meena*,
B. Tech. Computer Science and Engineering,