GSoC Project | Basic Support for Trace Compass

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu May 30 23:38:25 UTC 2019

On 30/5/19 7:48 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> ----- Am 30. Mai 2019 um 9:08 schrieb Ravindra Kumar Meena rmeena840 at gmail.com:
>
>> Hi Sebastian,
>>
>> I talked to babeltrace community and come to the conclusion that current
>> stable version 1.5.6 of babeltrace is not capable of converting live trace
>> stream data into CTF.
>>
>> This feature is currently in development and will be released in babeltrace
>> 2.0.
>
> Ok, great, so this is the first result of the activity. Could you please update the ticket with this information. Maybe add a link to the corresponding mailing list thread.
>

>> If we are able to store the current traces in the disk then I think we
>> convert it to CTF later.
>
> We should focus on a custom converter that can transform TCP streams and files with record items into CTF.

I suggest the rtems-tools repo is used to hold a tool like this. Maybe in the
`tester` directory. Note, we currently use Python and C++ for RTEMS developed
pieces. Note, the rtems-tools repo supports Linux, FreeBSD, MacOS, MinGW, Cygwin
and maybe others like NetBSD and Solaris.

> Since this program runs on the host, you can also use GPL or LGPL software.

Hmm the rtems-tools package is aiming for no GPL or LGPL. There are a few GPL
files in it at the moment which could be replaced if we need too but this has
not happened yet. I would prefer we find other alternatives and avoid GPL rather
than encourage it.