Performance problem with PyYAML

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Nov 8 23:10:35 UTC 2019

On 9/11/19 10:02 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 4:58 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org
> <mailto:chrisj at rtems.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 9/11/19 9:52 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>     > On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 4:26 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org
>     <mailto:chrisj at rtems.org>
>     > <mailto:chrisj at rtems.org <mailto:chrisj at rtems.org>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     On 9/11/19 2:57 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>     >     > Ah, pickling makes sense.
>     >     >
>     >     > On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 4:03 AM Sebastian Huber
>     >     > <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
>     <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>
>     >     <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
>     <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>>> wrote:
>     >     >>
>     >     >> Sorry, for the frequent updates. It turned out to be a very small
>     >     >> modification to add a build specification item cache with pickle.
>     >
>     >     I agree pickle and generation is a good solution.
>     >
>     > I don't mind processing human readable input to pickle. Let's just keep that
>     > VERY human readable.
>
>     I can only suggest reviewing the repo and the changes as "VERY human readable"
>     is subjective. I am not sure how else we can determine readability as it is a
>     personal thing. :)
>
> Gedare's post earlier to insert "\n\" manually to improve readability takes
> something unacceptable to marginally acceptable.

I thought that was in the json version of the data? My understanding is the
format is YAML as per the repo and pickle is generated once when the build first
runs or during the configure stage. I do not think anyone will look at the
pickle data. I am now confused.

> It is subjective but editing long strings of magic input with no normal line or
> paragraph breaks is bad bad bad.

I reviewed some of the YAML files in to the repo and they looked fine.