New Build System Status

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Nov 25 06:28:58 UTC 2019

On 24/11/2019 23:25, Chris Johns wrote:
>>> Should there be a note or something about waf needing python and we recommend
>>> python3? Plus waf needs a `python` installed and not just `python2` or
>>> `python3`?
>> I think this belongs to the Host Computer section. The quick start uses the RSB, so if you managed to build the tools, you must have a working Python. The RSB uses Python and the RTEMS Tools use waf.
> The RSB can use python2 or python3 without a python. What about a note to say
> ... "Waf uses python and you need to make this command available on your system".

Now I am a bit confused. I thought every UNIX-like system provides a

#!/usr/bin/env python

which maps to Python 2 or 3?

For example with my upgrade to FreeBSD 12.1 Python changed to 3
automatically:

$ /usr/bin/env python
Python 3.6.9 (default, Oct 24 2019, 01:18:01)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible FreeBSD Clang 6.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_601/final
335540)] on freebsd12

$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/python
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7 Oct 25 17:32 /usr/local/bin/python -> python3

The "waf" in rtems-tools uses

$ head -n 1 waf
#!/usr/bin/env python

It seems this extra logic in the RSB is a unnecessary at least for the
RTEMS Tools.

I will add a sentence about Python.

>>> How would a user adjust a BSP setting, for example the optimisation to -O1 to
>>> debug? A simple example would be nice. I see cannot see how as there is nothing
>>> in the INI file except building the tests.
>> This is too detailed for the quick start from my point of view. This is why I would like to add a Build System chapter.
> Sure this makes sense however as a new user working through the Quick Start a
> link to how configuration is handled is important, it provides a clear hint at a
> possible next step and a new user does not have to had read the entire document.

I will add a reference to the "Build System" chapter.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de