New Build System Status

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Nov 25 07:55:03 UTC 2019

On 25/11/19 5:28 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:

>>> I think this belongs to the Host Computer section. The quick start uses the
>>> RSB, so if you managed to build the tools, you must have a working Python.
>>> The RSB uses Python and the RTEMS Tools use waf.
>> The RSB can use python2 or python3 without a python. What about a note to say
>> ... "Waf uses python and you need to make this command available on your system".
>
> Now I am a bit confused. I thought every UNIX-like system provides a
>
> #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> which maps to Python 2 or 3?

Apparently on some distros the python executable is not automatically installed
with a suitable python2 or python3. I am not aware of the specifics of this but
it was raised as an issue that I fixed in the RSB:

https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3537

> For example with my upgrade to FreeBSD 12.1 Python changed to 3 automatically:
>
> $ /usr/bin/env python
> Python 3.6.9 (default, Oct 24 2019, 01:18:01)
> [GCC 4.2.1 Compatible FreeBSD Clang 6.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_601/final 335540)] on
> freebsd12
>>>>
> $ ls -l /usr/local/bin/python
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7 Oct 25 17:32 /usr/local/bin/python -> python3

Yeah, my FreeBSD installs also just work as expected and as the PEP covering
this says.

> The "waf" in rtems-tools uses
>
> $ head -n 1 waf
> #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> It seems this extra logic in the RSB is a unnecessary at least for the RTEMS Tools.

I think it was Joel that raised this originally but I may be wrong. I would love
to remove the stuff in the RSB.

> I will add a sentence about Python.

Thanks

>>> This is too detailed for the quick start from my point of view. This is why I
>>> would like to add a Build System chapter.
>> Sure this makes sense however as a new user working through the Quick Start a
>> link to how configuration is handled is important, it provides a clear hint at a
>> possible next step and a new user does not have to had read the entire document.
>
> I will add a reference to the "Build System" chapter.

Thanks