xilinx_zynq_zc702 vs. xilinx_zynq_zc706 memory map

Jonathan Brandmeyer jbrandmeyer at planetiq.com
Thu Oct 24 01:41:00 UTC 2019

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 6:04 AM Thomas Doerfler
<thomas.doerfler at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> most likely the RAM areas have been mapped to the lowest-possible
> non-NULL address, and they can be mapped to an address boundary matching
> the RAM size. zc702 has a 1MByte ram, mapped to the 1MByte boundary,
> zc706 has a 4MByte RAM mapped to the 4MByte boundary.

I don't know what the actual rationale is, but this definitely isn't
it.  The DDR physical address mapping is fixed.  The lower 256k can be
mapped to DRAM or on-chip SRAM depending on system settings.  The
range from 256k - 1M is either inaccessible or mapped to DRAM.  The
range from 1M - 4M is always mapped to DRAM.  Its an
application-profile processor, which is why the typical sizes are 512M
or 1024M (SoC maximum) for DRAM.

See also Xilinx UG585, section 4.1.

The chip's reset defaults are for 192 kB of OCM to be mapped low, and
64 kB to be mapped high with address filtering disabled.

HTH,
Jonathan