RFC: Building RTEMS/RISC-V with LLVM/Clang

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Oct 28 21:10:16 UTC 2019

On 29/10/19 12:51 am, Hesham Almatary wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 10:33, Sebastian Huber
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>>
>> On 28/10/2019 11:16, Hesham Almatary wrote:
>>> Hi Sebastian,
>>>
>>> The *_clang ones aren't expected to be compiled by GCC (and the native
>>> *.cfg won't compile with clang). Is there a reason they should be?
>>
>> You can build all BSPs of an architecture with:
>>
>> ../configure --target=riscv-rtems5
>>
>> This no longer works on riscv.
>>
> Right, I haven't tested on that level. I'm not sure what's the right
> way to do that in configure.ac. Do you've a quick solution in mind? I
> can delete the *_clang.cfg files until we figure it out.

I suggest you rename the files to another extension, ie *.ccfg, and we side step
the issue for now. With Sebastian's build system change coming it may be simpler
to wait.

If you want to build now I would look for the include spot for the `*.cfg` in
the Makefiles to see if some Makefile magic can detect a clang compiler and
change the extension.