rtems tester: Why does rtems_test_assert() just exit?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Sat Sep 21 15:44:06 UTC 2019

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 10:09 AM Peter Dufault <dufault at hda.com> wrote:

> Most of the failures I see on “beatnik” are detected by
> “rtems_test_assert()”.  That prints the assertion and calls exit, e.g. on
> beatnik:
>
> ] allocate most of memory - attempt to fail chroot - expect ENOMEM
> ]
> ../../../../../../rtems/c/src/../../testsuites/psxtests/psxchroot01/test.c:
> 126 status == -1
> ] fatal source: RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_EXIT, error code: 0
> ] bsp_fatal_extension(): RTEMS terminated -- no way back to MotLoad so I
> reset the card
> ] Printing a stack trace for your convenience :-)
>
> The failure is detected by the tester when the test platform requests a
> “tftp” transfer at an unexpected time:
>
> ] Subnet IP Address Mask = 255.255.248.0
> ]
> =>  tftp: re-requesting exe; target must have reset
> ] Network File Load in Progress...
> =>  target reset condition detected
> =>  target reset: ./power-ctl 1 off-on
> ] Error Status: 00000081 - File not found.
>
> This takes at least 10 seconds using “motload” and the power switch I’m
> using.  Why doesn’t "rtems_test_assert()” output something that shows the
> test failed so that the reset can happen then?

That's a good suggestion no one has made. That would work on all automated
configurations.

Also the beatnik bsp exit path could have reset enabled on exit. There is a
parameter to pass on the configure like which enables reset on exit if the
bsp has a functional bsp_reset. Sorry I'm at home on my phone and don't
recall the exact name.