Licensing Requirements on RTEMS Poorly Discussed

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Apr 20 16:51:33 UTC 2020

Hi

I know we are all struggling to get a release out but I just noticed that
the
discussion of licensing for code/docs in RTEMS is a bit of a mess right now.
I am close to filing this as a blocker ticket due to its importance.

SW Engineering Guide sections 6.3.1.2 (Licenses) and 11 (Licensing
Requirements) are somewhat overlapping and duplicative. In addition,
Gedare's old blog
http://gedare-csphd.blogspot.com/2013/05/software-licenses-with-rtems.html is
still a decent discussion of the underlying issues and goals even though we
have moved to BSD-2 and Creative Commons for documentation since he wrote
that in 2013.

I **THINK** a good solution would be to reference the Chapter 11 Licensing
Requirements from the Coding Conventions chapter. And incorporate an
updated version of Gedare's blog text.

I still don't think that either shows folks what to actually put in their
code.

Hint: Gedare... I think you would be in the best position to merge the 2
sections with an updated version of your blog. :)

Comments?

--joel