CMake support

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Dec 15 06:18:09 UTC 2020

On 14/12/20 8:26 pm, Robin Müller wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I now implemented pkg-config parsing and it works nicely with the tools given by
> CMake / kitware. I was able to build the hello application with the automatic
> pkg flag parsing for sparc/erc32, sparc/leon3 and arm/stm32h7.

Awesome.

> I do not know exactly when this feature was added to be honest. I set the
> minimum required version for CMake to 3.15 in my applications (not sure whether
> I even use the feature which required this anymore) and have not set a minimum
> requirement in the RTEMS support files yet.

Sure. I suppose someone will tell you if it is missing from older versions.

> It is still possible to disable the CMake PKG parsing and add RTEMS flags
> manually for a given BSP by supplying a special define. I am also considering
> adding the PKG parse variables to the CMakeCache so they can be used globally
> and read in the CMake GUI or with ccmake.

OK. I suggesting making a note that passing flags manually can be fragile.

> I significantly improved the documentation both in code and in the main README
> (primarily about how the build support can be configured and what configuration
> options are required, how to get it working etc.)

Excellent.

> I have changed RTEMS_PATH to RTEMS. The version number can already be supplied
> or set in the application CMakeLists.txt manually and then there will be no
> automatic determination. I can disable the automatic version determination (it
> would not break the building process, however not having a valid version number
> anywhere, either set manually or passed via command line AND not able to parsing
> it will of course break the process) if you think this is a bad idea.

I will leave the version number for you to decide. It is an area that has no
right answer. I have tended to limit option to avoid exposing things that break.