Enabling Buildbot 'responsible user' emails.

Christian Mauderer christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Thu Feb 6 06:44:21 UTC 2020

On 06/02/2020 07:35, Amar Takhar wrote:
> On 2020-02-06 07:19 +0100, Christian Mauderer wrote:
> <snip>
>> Someone applied a FreeBSD patch directly to libbsd (which works well).
>> In that case git noted that the original author is in the "from" header
>> and send him an email that his patch has been applied. He was a bit
>> astonished to receive that mail.
>
> Yes, that was due to trac I wrote a plugin that will strictly only email members
> of our trac instance.  It was due to the git ticket updater putting his name
> directly as a 'commenter' on the ticket via the database.  Then when the ticket
> was updated he was getting emails.

Seems that you remember more details then I do.

>> Most likely it's a lot harder to construct a similar situation for the
>> RTEMS core repository. But I wouldn't entirely rule it out. Is there
>> some possibility to avoid such mails or do we just accept that in the
>> worst case someone unrelated receives mails?
>
> I'll look into it to make sure nothing has changed in regards to this but it's
> possible that Buildbot could email anyone in the Author list if the patches were
> pulled out directly from a repository.

Like already said: I'm not against sending the mails. And the situation
is quite unlikely in RTEMS core. But we should be aware of the
possibility before enabling such an option.

The alternative could be to have a whitelist that is automatically
updated by every mail that is sent to the mailing lists. But that would
require buildbot to support a whitelist and it would require a script to
get the first "From" header for each mail on the list.

Thanks for all your hard work with buildbot and similar infrastructure.

Best regards

Christian

> Amar.

embedded brains GmbH