Enabling Buildbot 'responsible user' emails.

Amar Takhar amar at rtems.org
Fri Feb 7 05:05:28 UTC 2020

On 2020-02-06 08:03 -0700, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> I agree with what you say. (And appreciate the unfunded work.)

Thank you.

> I still have reservations about the possibility to generate 250 emails
> all basically the same. Perhaps developers/committers should test
> every commit. Sometimes though we have purposefully allowed one commit
> to be broken followed by the next that fixes it. (Of course, this
> makes bisecting harder, so maybe it is bad practice.) I think the one
> exception that should allow this practice is when we import code from
> elsewhere, and then fix it up after.  This is also the case that would
> potentially cause some unwitting soul to receive this blast of emails.

Well, broken commits shouldn't be a thing in any repository.  I haven't been a
part of any development project that allows that in 5+ years  They're all
check-before-commit now to ensure master builds 100% of the time.  This is
extremely important for future development on longterm projects.

I do see your point but it's not a feature I'd like to support.

> So, if this "Responsible User" email policy goes into effect, we also
> need some additional policies for developers to help prevent the
> "RTEMS Horde of Broken Builds" (TM) emails especially from going
> outside of the core developers who at least might expect the noise.

I don't agree, honestly I also don't agree with creating issues before they
happen.  Once we see developers get flooded with emails let's deal with how to
resolve that when it does happen.

Let's not forget the purpose of Buildbot is to make scenarios like this
annoying, we shouldn't be breaking the build. :)

> Essentially a statement like:
> 1. All committers will test each commit from other authors to ensure
> they build on (Tier 1?) architectures before pushing.

Chris has already suggested to limit this to tier1 architectures and I agree
with this.

> We already have similar statements about submissions, but it is good
> to cross-check committers. I'm not quite sure if we have codified any
> of these processes. A quick search only yields:
> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/eng/vc-authors.html#commands
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Contributing#Testing

Thanks.

I'll be sending another email about submitting diffs to Buildbot for building in
the next few days.

Amar.