RTEMS Manuals: Single Page HTML version doesn't work

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Feb 13 04:16:53 UTC 2020

On 12/2/20 7:25 pm, Christian Mauderer wrote:
> On 12/02/2020 00:11, Chris Johns wrote:
>> On 12/2/20 12:41 am, Christian Mauderer wrote:
>>>
>>> on docs.rtems.org we have a table with the manuals. There are three
>>> views: Online, PDF and Single Page. It seems that Online and PDF work
>>> fine. But Single Page doesn't work at all. Only a blank page is displayed.
>>>
>>> Should we fix it or remove it?
>>
>> If it is fixable I think we should. Amar added single page support when the
>> original shift from texinfo was done. I have kept it ever since.
>
> OK. I wasn't sure whether it is a remnant from an old or intermediate
> system or if it belongs to the current one. If it belongs to the current
> one we should definitively fix it.

It is useful if a user is deploying our documentation. I am not sure is
something people building the docs normally do.

>>> I think I know where I could remove it.
>>
>> Are you referring to rtems-docs or rtems-admin (my personal repo)?
>
> I would have expected that the stuff on the table is generated with the
> common/coverpage/static/rtems/js/catalogue.js in rtems-docs. At least
> the table headers are there.

The version in the docs repo lets you have a suitable cover page for the HTML
generated docs. If you install a build of the docs you get a nice cover page
which is similar to the online site. The online site's RTEMS JS is ..

https://git.rtems.org/chrisj/rtems-admin.git/tree/docs/docs.rtems.org/static/rtems/js

The tables are generated out the XML catalog files.

>> Does rtems-docs build with --singlehtml for you?
>
> I had some troubles getting node.js inliner but now it builds.

I have found node.js problematic on Ubuntu 18.something. An openssl ABI change
in dot version broke the packaging. I do not remember any issues on FreeBSD.

> The
> single page HTML is created and installed just like expected.

Great.

>>> But I have no idea where it should have been generated
>>
>> It is generated via a con job under my account on sync.rtems.org and copied to a
>> spot on the ftp server where it is picked up by the docs.rtems.org jail and
>> installed.
>>
>> The build or generate line is ...
>>
>> https://git.rtems.org/chrisj/rtems-admin.git/tree/docs/builder/rtems-docs-build-branches#n135
>
> Looks OK. There are some logs. Are they kept somewhere accessible?

No but this is a good idea. I should push the logs to the handover location on
ftp.rtems.org so anyone wanting to help can see if a build has broken. It
happens from time to time. The handover path is ..

https://git.rtems.org/chrisj/rtems-admin.git/tree/docs/builder/rtems-docs-upload#n21

I am not sure when I will have time to add this feature.