rtems.git force push pending

Amar Takhar amar at rtems.org
Thu Feb 13 23:30:36 UTC 2020

On 2020-02-13 17:42 -0500, Peter Dufault wrote:

> Can you explain this to those of us who are part-time git users?
> I pulled during this time frame, so I must "re-clone" or do a "forced push
> back".

See below.

> I assume "re-clone" means I "rm -rf" a local repository and, well, "re-clone".
> I will need to google to see what a "forced push back" is.

Oh, you can try 'git pull -f' as well.  Basically two commits were removed off
the top of master which 'rewinds' the repository.  If you checked out those
commits and tried to update your repo won't be happy due to the incongruence.

I used re-clone in the general sense you can rm -rf, try git pull -f and a few
other methods if you know Git well which I didn't get into.

> What was the "unfortunate mishap"?  If I were knowledgeable would I know
> immediately without asking?

No, it was a procedural error and you would have not noticed anything at all.
It was a merge commit which we don't want in our master repository as it makes
it no longer linear.

Amar.