Status of fenv.h header and floating point environment support in newlib

Ayush Dwivedi 21cencturyayush at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 09:37:29 UTC 2020

Hello Joel,
This is regarding the open project #2966 POSIX-Compliance #2971( Add fenv.h
to newlib). The task is about adding the floating point environment header
to the newlib library but the source code of the library already has the
header with the listed function declarations and data struct as needed. The
implementations for the following architectures are available in the
newlib-cygwin repository:
>RISCV
>i386
>x86_64
As pointed out in the POSIX Compliance project sub-task page the
implementations for following architectures are yet to be added:
>ARM(software float implementation for this exists but no fenv
implementation)
>AArch64(software float implementation for this exists but no fenv
implementation)
>SPARC and SPARC64(directories for these architectures are missing from
libm/machine/ so no implementation of any sort)

I would like to try and implement the functions declared in the header
using BSD libc of FreeBSD as reference for the ARM and SPARC architectures.

Following is the output after running test for posix fenv
header(psxfenv01.exe) for SPARC using sparc-rtems5-sis and
sparc-rtems5-gdb.(The Test failed)

Regards,
Ayush Dwivedi