Top of file: licence header or Doxygen comment?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Feb 19 12:56:06 UTC 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, 6:30 AM Sebastian Huber <

> On 19/02/2020 13:01, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, 12:21 AM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org
> > <mailto:chrisj at rtems.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 19/2/20 5:18 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> >      > I want to add a header and source file header template to the
> >     RTEMS Software
> >      > Engineering manual. What should be on the top of the file? The
> >     license header or
> >      > the Doxygen file comment block?
> >
> >     License header.
> >

> > I think we have existing guidance that is the opposite of that
>
> Yes, should we change it? In other projects, the SPDX License Identifier
> is usually on top of the file.

I don't want to change existing practice unless someone writes a program to
verify the order of the first two comment blocks and swap them.

Or (less desirable since it delays changing things a long time) we can make
a master list of these and make them GCI tasks. But we have trouble getting
mentors over the holidays. It still may not finish and it will be at least
a year before potential GCI students could make a dent (and likely not fix
all).

Write a program or leave the order alone.

--joel