GSOC 2020 project query

Christian Mauderer list at c-mauderer.de
Thu Feb 20 19:24:29 UTC 2020

Hello Utkarsh,

On 20/02/2020 19:07, Utkarsh Rai wrote:
> Based on @Gedare Bloom's feedback,  adding memory protection
> <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2904> or enhancing Wi-fi Support in
> libbsd <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3222> are two projects that I
> would like to work upon.

Both sound like great projects.

> For MMU support I think a lot unmerged PowerPC code is already present,
> but since  I would be using BBB I would only be able to use that as a
> reference. Is it feasible to start it from scratch?

I don't really know about the current status. But in most cases it would
be a better idea to continue the work if something exists. Otherwise
it's quite likely that you'll manage to create a similar unfinished
version as a result. Of course it depends a bit on what exists.

> For Wi-Fi support, I would require an RTL8188 USB dongle along with
> JTAG (I have a J-link and am in the process of soldering the
> headers) for debugging purposes. I am not quite sure about how to handle
> the 'hot-plugging' case in this project it would be very helpful if the
> project owners could point me in the right direction.

Regarding the RTL8188: I think that there are quite some similar
adapters that would work too. And if necessary porting another driver
from FreeBSD isn't too hard. So if you have trouble finding the RTL8188
search for another USB dongle that is supported by FreeBSD and ask here
on the list whether it can be used too.

Regarding the hot plug: Like the ticket tells: It's not entirely clear
yet. My first step would be to analyze what FreeBSD does and how it
detects such events. I assume that there is some kind of mechanism to
notify a userspace application of new devices. Maybe we can hook into
that mechanism?

In that context: Please note that the ticket #3223 is strongly
connected. You can also mix some parts of the two tickets if you want.

Best regards

Christian