Project query

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Thu Feb 20 19:32:29 UTC 2020

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 10:56 AM suyash singh <suyashsingh234 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I found this interesting project
> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3710
>
> There are no prerequisites given for this one

This one is a bit on the open-ended side. You should get started by
looking at our current status with Coverity, and triage a few bugs.
Convert "real bugs" from coverity scan into RTEMS tickets on Trac, or
do analysis to identify if a coverity vulnerability is actually a
false positive / not-a-bug. This will give you some level of
understanding about the Coverity workflow.

Beyond that, we will need to identify what, if any, patterns exist for
false positives, and whether we need to provide a more advanced
modeling file for Coverity. The content of our current modeling file
is pasted below. Some of these controls are only visible to
administrator accounts, so if the project moves forward you'd need
that permission. We'd deal with that if necessary.

There is also the possibility that clang-analyzer can be used. Jose
recently mentioned they got it to work with some "hacks" -- a good
project could be to make it working in a productive manner for our
open-source ecosystem.

I could see the two (coverity and clang-analyzer) being a good basis
for a GSoC that focuses on integration of static analysis tools in
RTEMS "devops"

Modeling file for RTEMS
---------------------------------------
//
// RTEMS-tools currently does not have anything to model for Coverity.
// Having a file makes them happy we have a fully configured project. :)
//

typedef unsigned int uint32_t;

void rtems_fatal_error_occurred(uint32_t the_error)
{
  __coverity_panic__();
}

#define rtems_interrupt_disable( _level ) \
  do { \
    _level = 0; \
  } while(0)

Gedare