SPDX License Identifier Only and Full Copy?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Feb 21 14:26:54 UTC 2020

On 21/02/2020 15:06, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> I think we should following the FreeBSD guidance. Whether the license or
> Doxygen @file
> is first is a different issue. I personally like the @file first. They
> aren't usually very long and
> the license is visible when you open the file.  If someone can find
> another project's example
> including both, that would be nice to see.
>
> Seeing the license when I open a file tells me nothing about the file
> and then I have to
> page down to see the comment. Perhaps I'm just old and telling you to
> get off my lawn
> though. :)

My main goal is to have a foolproof file template for all our source
files very soon.

Linux has the policy to put the SPDX at the first line if possible. The
only exception are scripts which need an interpreter line for the shell
(2. Style):

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/license-rules.html

Maybe we can use this policy in RTEMS as well (except for third-party
code of course).

We can keep the BSD-2-Clause text in the file. We can also keep the
@file on the top. Example:

/* SPDX-License-Identifier: BSD-2-Clause */

/**
  * @file
  *
  * @ingroup RTEMSApplicationConfiguration
  *
  * @brief Evaluate Configuration Options
  *
  * This header file includes a couple of header files which evaluate the
  * configuration options specified by the application.  The macros and
defines
  * used to configure the system are documented in the Configuring a System
  * chapter of the Classic API User's Guide.
  */

/*
  * Copyright (C) 2020 embedded brains GmbH (http://www.embedded-brains.de)
  * Copyright (C) 1989, 2000 On-Line Applications Research Corporation (OAR)
  *
  * are met:
  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
  *
  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
"AS IS"
  * AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, THE
  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE
  * ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
  * LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
  * CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
  * SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
  * INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
  * CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
  * ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED
OF THE
  * POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
  */

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de