rtems-boot-image tool: Raspberry Pi

G. S. Niteesh gsnb.gn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 14:45:12 UTC 2020

Hi,

This is regarding adding RPi support to the boot image generation tool.

The boot process for Raspberry Pi is very unconventional. The GPU starts
first, initializes RAM, other hardware, loads the bootloaders and then
starts
the ARM CPU.

The minimum files that are required to boot an RPi are
bootcode.bin, startx.elf, fixup.dat, kernel.img, config.txt
There are also other variants of startx.elf and fixup.dat.
Please have a look at
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/boot.md
for information on the variants.

>From what I have tried on my Rpi3 model b v1.2 the minimum files that are
required are start_x.elf, fixup_x.dat, bootcode.bin, kernel.img, config.txt
But for this to work, we must add start_x=1 to config.txt because by default
start.elf is loaded.

So, what should be the values for the first and second stages in
rtems-boot.ini for Rpi?
And also wouldn't it be nice if we could add a files field, which will copy
the specified files
to the image? This would save a lot of typing in case of RPi

Thank you,
Niteesh.