Device Tree Blob for Beaglebone Black?

Amar Takhar amar at rtems.org
Thu Feb 27 19:43:57 UTC 2020

On 2020-02-27 20:06 +0100, Christian Mauderer wrote:

> > The only good way to handle this is to have it all in 1 giant repository we work
> > with.  Every other solution is a pain no matter how well thought out it is.  I
> > personally lean more on the service side of things that it should be *our*
> > problem to maintain this and for users it should just work.>
> > The easiest way to handle this is to have the minimum version required in the
> > commit message.  Eg, when pushing to libbsd have:
> >
> >   Minimum RTEMS: <hash>
> >
> > After that it's up to the user to ensure to keep up-to-date.  The first thing
> > most developers do is check the log.
>
> Sounds like a nice suggestion. But it needs quite a lot of discipline
> for the developers. So most likely a lot of errors will happen. Beneath
> that it's not far from what we do now: Suggest to use commits from the
> same date.

There are two ways to look at it -- requiring discipline or simply doing
something we should already be doing.  Because right now there is no way to tell
other than updating to the latest and if you are trying to bisect an issue this
because huge because you could feasibly jump into a comment that skips a
version.  How would a user know which version of the library *or* RTEMS to use?

> But maybe we should move that discussion. It's not FDT related anymore
> so no one will find it in this toppic. And I think for Chris the
> pressing matter is FDT just now because it blocks the release.

Yes that's true.

> The BSP groups that use bsps/shared/start/bsp-fdt.c are:
>
> - riscv/riscv
> - arm/imx
> - arm/beagle
> - arm/raspberrypi
> - arm/altera-cyclone-v
> - powerpc/qoriq
>
> For beagle and raspberry it should be definitely the FreeBSD FDT.
>
> For imx: I'm currently working on imx6 support in the imx BSP and that
> one will use a FreeBSD derived one too. Not sure about the original imx7
> support in that BSP.
>
> For the other BSPs I don't have any idea which FDT has been used during
> development.

Okay that list is already compelling enough to have the split model of having
source based files in-tree and binary outside.  I think it makes sense to have
it 'just work' for opensource boards like the beagle and rpi even if that's the
only two that require it.

Amar.