tar/psx/bsdtar on CentOS 8

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Feb 27 22:20:52 UTC 2020

Jeff.. try the stuff below and let us know.

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 9:12 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 25/2/20 5:09 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > CentOS 8 does not have a package for pax. It does have a package for
> bsdtar.
> >
> > Is bsdtar sufficient for the tests? I don't call the precise issue we
> favored
> > pax over
> > GNU tar.
> >
> > If so, could testsuites/libtests/configure.ac <http://configure.ac>
> accept both?
> >
> > Pax appears to be used only for the dl* and tar* tests. I had thought
> about it
> > not being a hard fail but those seem like bad tests to drop out.
>
> Does RTEMS understand the standard tar format? If PAX format is needed
> does your
> tar accept `--posix` or `--format pax`. I am happy for a change like this
> but it
> may only work on FreeBSD ;)

Long ago, I swear it was just tar but something broke on some host. My
vague recollection
is very large user ids in a Mac networked environment. But the ustar format
allows 8 octets
for user ids.

https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/pax.html#tag_20_92_13_06

That may not have tripped the switch to pax except that pax is the POSIX
name of the
command.

Looking for the RHEL 8 release notes about this, I found

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html-single/considerations_in_adopting_rhel_8/index

which indicates it moved to the "CodeReady Linux Builder repository" along
with a
number of other packages. That is in the PowerTools repo for CentOS.

https://serverfault.com/questions/997896/how-to-enable-powertools-repository-in-centos-8

Hopefully it works. Jeff will let us know.

--joel