tar/psx/bsdtar on CentOS 8

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Feb 28 16:21:03 UTC 2020

This follow up from Jeff didn't hit the list.

On top of pax may be an inactive/dead project, there is the issue that
Grsecurity
has been cited as violating the GPL with their business of providing kernel
patches
to paying customers but not allowing redistribution of those patches.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/11/6/4

They sued Bruce Perens (
https://thenewstack.io/open-source-pioneer-bruce-perens-sued-grsecurity/)
for defamation after his comments on their actions.

But that's not where the CentOS 7 pax says it came from. Do an rpm -i
and you see the URL is http://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/kukuk/pax which
is now dead. The user has a directory but it only has glibc-addons.
I think this project died also.

Did you try yum provides "*pax"? or the dnf equivalent?

We may end up needing to identify an upstream pax implementation and
add it to the rtems-source-builder. I'm hoping that's the out here.

--joel