Suggestion

Amar Takhar amar at rtems.org
Fri Feb 28 19:09:35 UTC 2020

On 2020-02-28 12:39 -0600, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> We can't blanket upgrade tools to Python 3. The only thing I think we agreed
> when this was recently discussed is that we have categories of tools in Python
> and some have to be compatible with Python 2 and 3.

I wasn't suggesting that.  I said there are tools that don't work in 3 any
Python 2 program can be written to work in 3 either directly or using the six
library sorry for not being clear!

> This would be a good project if there is a summer's worth of work. But it
> could be combined with something if not. And we always like someone to submit
> a "bonus" project idea -- just in case our estimate of the main project is
> woefully over the top and the student kills it in a month. :)

I think it would be a good idea to create a Python RTEMS library that can be
consumed by all our tools and the API tested using pytest.  The goal of this
being the actual tools themselves are a thin layer on top of the library.  This
way we can actually test compatibility as required also any  updates to the
library would benefit all the tools we have. I think these 3 items would fill up
an entire summer especially when we include the tests.

Something I've been casually working on is an official docker image that
includes everything anyone would want to work with RTEMS.  That could also be
added to this project as well.  This would build the tools from scratch but I
was going to privately offer images that already have all the tools pre-built
for those who want instant gratification.

>     Part of this tutorial would involve ASCII screen captures as well as
>     during this process there are expected and unexpected behaviours that are
>     best seen visually.
>
> This would help someone on-ramping.

Yes I agree a lot of "is this working right" questions come up a lot when you're
working on this because sometimes nothing happens.  Or you run a tool like
ser2net and are unsure what the expected outcome is.  There are also simple
testing procedures you can do to make sure your FTDI setup is working correctly.
A lot of the frustration can be taken out in getting things started which is a
huge barrier for the entry into RTEMS right now.

Amar.