Suggestion

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Feb 28 18:39:49 UTC 2020

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 11:18 AM Amar Takhar <amar at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 2020-02-28 09:25 -0700, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> > >
> > If there is enough work, and the work can be suitably identified, then
> > it can also be a possible GSoC. There are also other possibilities to
> > improve our existing Python code bases to adhere to some proposed
> > Python coding conventions, which could make a nice GSoC effort to
> > ensure it is done iteratively and carefully without breaking things.
> >
> > If that is of interest, we can find more information, but you can also
> > search the archives last 3-4 months about Python.
>
> There are for sure other tools that need updating to run with Python 3.7 I
> ran
> into several while working with Chris to setup hardware CI testing using
> the
> BBB.

We can't blanket upgrade tools to Python 3. The only thing I think we agreed
when this was recently discussed is that we have categories of tools in
Python
and some have to be compatible with Python 2 and 3.

+ Any tool required for a normal user must be Python 2/3 compatible.
   The RSB and tools like the rtems tester are in this category.
+ Tools specific to qualification or documentation have latitude to be
Python 3
   only. For example, Sphinx requires Python 3 and we have no control over
that.
   But this only impacts those working on documentation, not using RTEMS.

If we have code which works with a Python 3 < 3.7 and breaks with 3.7, then
it needs to be fixed. Independent of whether it is compatible with 2 and 3.

> The process...is not pleasant.  Lots of obtuse references and difficult
> items to
> find to figure out how to get this all working.
>
> Having said that, he did share some work with me that helped out
> immensely.  I
> think a part of this project could be to turn this work into a Python
> utility to
> allow easily building images with u-boot and FDT.
>
> Part of this would also be a tutorial for new users to go and set up a BBB
> and
> RPI for testing and running using this new tool and getting the new tftp
> proxy
> and ser2net working in conjunction.
>
> This would be a very close or near similar setup to any other BSP and is
> something that RTEMS sorely lacks.
>
> It all makes sense and isn't too bad once it's setup but but the current
> motto
> for new users is arcane.  I think what Gedare mentioned and this  would be
> an
> excellent GSoC project for anyone who only really needs knowledge in
> Python.

This would be a good project if there is a summer's worth of work. But it
could
be combined with something if not. And we always like someone to submit a
"bonus" project idea -- just in case our estimate of the main project is
woefully
over the top and the student kills it in a month. :)

> Part of this tutorial would involve ASCII screen captures as well as
> during this
> process there are expected and unexpected behaviours that are best seen
> visually.

This would help someone on-ramping.

--joel