tar/psx/bsdtar on CentOS 8

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Sat Feb 29 09:39:26 UTC 2020

----- Am 28. Feb 2020 um 23:07 schrieb Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org:

>>> On 29 Feb 2020, at 6:10 am, Jeff Mayes <Jeff.Mayes at oarcorp.com> wrote:
>>
>> Aha!  So, spax provides pax now, and spax is in the BaseOS Repo.  That’ll need
>> to be updated in the documentation.
>>

> We need the PAX format from any source. I switched to the pax command because
> POSIX defines it and silly me thought a POSIX OS would always provide it.
>
> If all the tar implementations support an option to generate the PAX format we
> can change back to tar.
>
> We need to:
> - check tar on each host
> - check a test exe that is built
>
> Would this be a simpler long term solution?

The problem with tar is that for the tests the file name replacement is quite handy. GNU tar supports --transform, BSD tar doesn't support this and instead offers a -s option. Is gtar available by default on FreeBSD? I can add support for this in the new build system, e.g. check for pax, then gtar, then tar, then figure out if its GNU or BSD tar.