RTEMS Project projects?

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Jan 21 16:43:53 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 2:11 PM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 2:56 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 21/1/20 4:15 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>> > Maybe just a hierarchical picture could be provided.
>

> I'd be thrilled to hear we have enough organizational structure to need a figure. :)
>
> Seriously, it couldn't hurt. We now have a number of separate repositories:
> rtems, rtems-libbsd, rtems-tools, rtems-libbsd, the release tools.
>
> That ignores web infrastructure, buildbot, Trac, etc.
>
> It can't do anything but help to get our hands around it all.
>

>> > I'd also be OK with new "projects" using a different noun, such as "effort"
>> >
>> > As with Chris, I would not change established language (such as for
>> > RTEMS Tools Project). Nice Qualification is still getting off the
>> > ground, the language around it could change.
>>
>> Do we need to diverge from what we have? Is there some standards thing related
>> to the language I do not understand?
>

> I don't think there is any reason to move to sub-projects. The RTEMS Project is
> just a higher level use of the term. It encompasses all individual projects, tasks,
> tickets, processes, servers, etc.

Sorry, "language" is ambiguous, I did not mean "programming language"
I meant how we refer to the qualification effort/project. It can be
called something other than a "project" if so decided. But, I don't
see it as a strong need. We have "RTEMS Project" as an umbrella that
everything else falls under (in the open-source community
perspective).

If there are activities outside the scope of the RTEMS Project, i.e.,
in a closed/proprietary way, it would be mildly inappropriate to call
those "RTEMS Xyz Project"