Requirement Document generator tool

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Jan 27 22:23:46 UTC 2020

On 24/1/20 9:57 pm, Jose Valdez wrote:
> In fact these tools target the pre-qualified project.

Do you see this as different to the RTEMS project?

> Since it was Sebastian who suggested to create this set of python tools,

I think Sebastian is wanting a smooth path for these tools into the project.

> I think the idea was to standardize the use of python not only for this project, but also for other python written code in RTEMS community. This has the advantages that every written python code is standard, but has the drawbacks:
>
> -> old written code would need to be adapted to the standards.

How different to the proposed coding standard is the existing code? Why not base
the coding standard on what exists in the code base?

Have you evaluated the size of the task to update the existing code? How would
get such changes for the rtems-tools and the RSB be tested and integrated back
into the project? This apporach seems like a huge review task for me.

> Another option could be leave it as it is and only do this for new written code.

It would be confusing to any new user to the code to have code written to a
standard and code that is not? If you edit the old code is it to the new
standard? If you edit an old file do you need to update the whole file?

> -> at some point some tools need to be upgraded (ex: python 3.7 will become unusable in 2030 Operating systems).

I am not sure how this relates. Yes it will need to update however we need to
support python2 for user facing tools for a while yet. A lot of what we do and
how we work is historically driven.

> I hope soon to formalize our suggestion to you and then you may review it (and propose changes if you find appropriate).

I suggest working in the open and with us will be more beneficial in the long term.

Note, I am assuming the remainder of the email was Christian's. The quoting from
your email client made it difficult to tell.