Requirement Document generator tool

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Jan 27 23:48:47 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 4:18 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 24/1/20 9:57 pm, Jose Valdez wrote:
> > In fact these tools target the pre-qualified project.
>
> Do you see this as different to the RTEMS project?
>
> > Since it was Sebastian who suggested to create this set of python tools,
>
> I think Sebastian is wanting a smooth path for these tools into the
> project.
>
> > I think the idea was to standardize the use of python not only for this
> project, but also for other python written code in RTEMS community. This
> has the advantages that every written python code is standard, but has the
> drawbacks:
> >
> > -> old written code would need to be adapted to the standards.
>
> How different to the proposed coding standard is the existing code? Why
> not base
> the coding standard on what exists in the code base?

This is a very important question.

> Have you evaluated the size of the task to update the existing code? How
> would
> get such changes for the rtems-tools and the RSB be tested and integrated
> back
> into the project? This apporach seems like a huge review task for me.

It could be or it may turn out that there isn't much changed. Without
someone running
the reformatter and reporting, we won't know.

I tend to think it is worth knowing if this is a monster or a mouse before
making
a decision.

> > Another option could be leave it as it is and only do this for new
> written code.
>
> It would be confusing to any new user to the code to have code written to a
> standard and code that is not? If you edit the old code is it to the new
> standard? If you edit an old file do you need to update the whole file?

If we accept a standard, then it is all or nothing. I'm going to sound like
cranky old man but we have said things like this before and regretted it
every time. Consistency is critical.

Quick run of sloccount for a baseline

+ rtems-tools -
Totals grouped by language (dominant language first):
ansic:        47237 (49.86%)
cpp:          25837 (27.27%)
python:       21227 (22.40%)
sh:             442 (0.47%)

+ rtems-source-builder/source-builder -
SLOC    Directory       SLOC-by-Language (Sorted)
14314   sb              python=14169,sh=145
65      top_dir         sh=65
0       config          (none)
0       patches         (none)

So we have about 35K SLOC or Python by that.

No idea how the new standard versus the old looks. I thought Python had a
consistent
style but I could be very wrong. :(

> > -> at some point some tools need to be upgraded (ex: python 3.7 will
> become unusable in 2030 Operating systems).
>
> I am not sure how this relates. Yes it will need to update however we need
> support python2 for user facing tools for a while yet. A lot of what we do
> and
> how we work is historically driven.

CentOS 8 was just released in October. None of the big organization users I
see are using it yet.

We need to make a LTS release with 5 on Python 2 as a minimum. I feel
strongly
about that.

As long as the tools are written in a python agnostic manner, the version
won't matter.

We need some test cases for the tools to verify them

> > I hope soon to formalize our suggestion to you and then you may review
> it (and propose changes if you find appropriate).
>
> I suggest working in the open and with us will be more beneficial in the
> long term.

+1 I can't agree strongly enough.