Requirement Document generator tool

Christian Mauderer christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Wed Jan 29 08:40:26 UTC 2020

On 28/01/2020 23:15, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 28/1/20 10:22 pm, Christian Mauderer wrote:
>> I'm quite indifferent which style we use
>
> But you are arguing a position, such as ...
>
>> but do you really think that it
>> is a good idea to roll our own RTEMS-Python-style instead of using one
>> of the big ones (like PEP8, Google or some other that might is a better
>> fit for existing code). Rolling our own would lead to:
>>
>> 1. Long discussions about what is THE RIGHT STYLE (already started in
>> this mail).
>>
>> 2. A lot of problems that there is no tool that formats or checks
>> whether code is in THE RIGHT STYLE.
>>
>> 3. More discussions later because some other developer thinks that THE
>> RIGHT STYLE is wrong.

You are right that I argue against home-grown styles. I learned that
style discussions are quite similar to religious discussions. Everyone
beliefs that his style is the only right one. Using a big one makes it
simpler to avoid discussions because a lot of people know it.

Please don't get me wrong: I'm OK with another style too. The relevant
result is that we have _one_ style in RTEMS that can be automatically
checked. That also will make patch review simpler because we as
maintainers don't have to do the style review by hand.

> I wrote the code, I know it and I need to maintain it. All I am asking is if
> pre-qual wants rules then I suggest they find some common ground.

I agree that it is a good idea to find something that is acceptable for all.

> I wonder how libbsd.py goes with these rules. Also all the wscript files which
> are also python and also the RSB would be covered.

Most likely not well. But that's the problem: We already have a bunch of
different styles. Let's try to agree on one before we get lots of extra
code. A lot of pre-qualification code will be python. Therefore now is
the best time.

If I understood you correctly your main problem with both suggested ones
(PEP8 and Google) is that multi line lists have been put together into
one liners and dictionaries with aligned fields are not aligned anymore?
About correct?

Best regards

Christian

> Chris