A question about rtems license

Christian Mauderer oss at c-mauderer.de
Sat Jul 18 15:19:52 UTC 2020

Hello,

note that I'm not a lawyer. I can only provide my personal opinion
regarding that topic. Depending of the legal system of your country a
lawyer might has a different point of view. I'm also only a small part
of the project and can't speak for all persons involved.

As far as I understand your situation you basically forked RTEMS. The
fork would consist of "rtems src" and "rtems src2". These parts would be
covered by the RTEMS license. So if you provide a binary to someone, you
would have to make the "rtems src" and "rtems src2" available to this
person too if they ask.

But your application is still a separate part and would be covered by
the linking exception. That means: you can keep it private.

Please note that there is an ongoing effort to change the RTEMS license
to a BSD style license. A lot of sources are already BSD licensed. You
can see that if you have a look at the file headers.

As another note: RTEMS is always open to patches. So you might want to
think about polishing the "rtems src2" parts a bit and sending them to
the mailing list for integration into the official sources.

Best regards

Christian