[GSoC 2020]: Doubts in building RSB Recipe for EPICS for multiple architectures

Mritunjay Sharma mritunjaysharma394 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 18:43:16 UTC 2020

First of all apologies for a little late response,
please find the link to the blogs which tell how to Build EPICS7 with
RTEMS5 for pc-386 by hand here:

Part 1 :
https://medium.com/@mritunjaysharma394/installing-rtems-ecosystem-and-building-your-first-bsp-993d1cf38902

Part 2:
https://medium.com/@mritunjaysharma394/building-epics7-with-rtems5-by-hand-12d9fbd2eb82

Please do have a read and give me your feedback for improvements

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 7:20 AM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 27/7/20 10:34 am, Mritunjay Sharma wrote:
> >
> > Please find the patch for PC for EPICS here
> >
> https://github.com/mritunjaysharma394/epics-mritunjay/blob/master/patches/0001-Added-Support-for-RTEMS-pc386.patch
>
> Thanks.
>
> > As an experiment, in the 4 patches I have sent to devel for RSB recipe a
> few
> > days pack, I worked on a local file. I will modify it to published
> source soon
> > in the next version of patch.
>
> Are the EPICS configure files just Makefiles?

I think so and more clarity can be given by Heinz on it.

> Can the variables altered in your patch be controlled from the command
> line?
>
> What does the `T_A` variables in EPICS mean? I see this is used here ...

I searched about it in the EPICS documentation and found that T_A variable
refers
to 'T_A) is the current build’s target architecture'.
I tried to alter it using the command line but I think it didn't work or
maybe I was doing in
the wrong way? Heinz, can you comment on this?

> https://github.com/mritunjaysharma394/epics-mritunjay/blob/master/configure/CONFIG#L64
>
> If you look down from this there are some special includes ...
>

> https://github.com/mritunjaysharma394/epics-mritunjay/blob/master/configure/CONFIG#L113
>
> What are these files for?

I found this information about them in the documentation:

'User specific override definitions are allowed in user created files in the
user’s <home>/configure subdirectory. These override definitions will be
used for builds in all <top> directory structures. The files must have the
following names.

<home>/configure/CONFIG_USER
<home>/configure/CONFIG_USER.<epics_host_arch>
<home>/configure/CONFIG_USER.Common.<targetarch>
<home>/configure/CONFIG_USER.<epics_host_arch>.<targetarch>'

The link to the documentation is:
https://epics.anl.gov/base/R3-15/6-docs/AppDevGuide/BuildFacility.html

Thanks
Mritunjay