New Build System: Can't include headers

Niteesh G. S. niteesh.gs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 20:19:08 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 8:59 PM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 9:14 AM Niteesh G. S. <niteesh.gs at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2020-June/060145.html
> > As agreed on the above mail I have started to create patches based
> > on the new build system. But I encountered a few issues related to
> > the inclusion of header files. I am using one of my patches as an example
> > to illustrate the issues.
> >
> > The BUILD System was pulled from Sebastians build branch (
> https://git.rtems.org/sebh/rtems.git/log/?h=build )
> >
> > PROJECT STRUCTURE:
> > The FreeBSD files imported to RTEMS are placed under
> cpukit/libfreebsd/freebsd
> > They follow the same file structure as in FreeBSD ( COMMIT [1] ).
> >
> > I have also implemented a few structures to make porting from FreeBSD
> > easier and reduce the amount of redundant code. These files are
> *currently*
> > placed under cpukit/libfreebsd/rtems ( COMMIT [2] )
> >
> > The spec file for libfreebsd is objfreebsd.yml [3] with the following
> contents in the
> > include path. We currently don't install anything.
> > install: []
> > includes:
> > - cpukit/libfreebsd
> > - cpukit/libfreebsd/freebsd
> > - cpukit/libfreebsd/freebsd/sys
> > - cpukit/libfreebsd/rtems
> >
> > The files discussed here have the following structure
> >
> > ti_pinmux.c, ti_pinmux.h, ti_cpuid.h are present under
> > libfreebsd/freebsd/sys/arm/ti
> >
> > bus.c, device.h, bus.h are present under
> > libfreebsd/rtems
> >
> > For full list of files please refer to [4]
> >
> > ISSUES:
> > 1) Can't include headers present under libfreebsd in BSPs directory.
> > For eg: I want to include ti_cpuid.h [5] in BSP directory but can't do so
> > even though the path has been added to the spec file. [3]
> > In beagle/bspstart.c:
> > #include <arm/ti/ti_cpuid.h>
> > throws an error even though the path has been added in the spec file.
> >
> Seb addressed this.
>
> > 2) Is it possible to have two same files one in RTEMS and other in
> RTEMS-libBSD
> > without collision? At least with different install paths?
> > For eg: The openfirm.h in RTEMS under something like
> > libfreebsd/dev/ofw/openfirm.h
> > And the open in libBSD as it is done currently.
> > So this way we can include the RTEMS variant with
> > #include <libfreebsd/dev/ofw/openfirm.h>
> >
> This should be possible. However I see a few concerns with the idea:
> 1. if the location is ambiguous then which header gets picked up could
> be system-specific based on how it handles include path searching.

How will the path be ambiguous if they are installed into two different
sub-directories?
Say we install the RTEMS variant of openfirm.h in
$PREFIX/libfreebsd/dev/ofw. This
way we can include it using #include <libfreebsd/dev/ofw>
And we install the RTEMS-libBSD variant in its original directory which I
guess ( not really sure)
is $PREFIX/dev/ofw/openfirm.h.
The files are in two different subdirectories, will this still be ambiguous?

2. is there a need to keep them in sync between rtems and libbsd?

I don't really understand what you mean by sync. If it is about maintaining
the same file structure
as in libbsd, then it depends on the use case.

For example,
For some files, it doesn't matter. An example is OpenFirmware functions. We
can install the RTEMS
variant to any directory as long as it doesn't collide with the libBSD
variant.

But in case of the pinmux driver, we will be porting it to RTEMS and will
be removing it from libBSD
in this case, it is really important to make sure we install it in the
right directory i.e. maintain the same
structure as it was in libBSD or else we will break things in libBSD.
I am sorry if I misunderstood something.

Thanks,
Niteesh.