Device Tree Blob for Beaglebone Black?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Mar 4 06:07:42 UTC 2020

On 04/03/2020 05:55, Chris Johns wrote:
>> I think for Boards that normally run a Linux it is a sane approach to
>> just replace the Linux Kernel with a RTEMS binary and otherwise keep the
>> boot process with for example U-Boot. Everything else is a lot of extra
>> effort to implement and not necessary in a lot of situations.
> Is there documentation about that shows this process for an existing board?
>
> I get what you are saying and it make prefect sense and it would be no issue for
> me to do this however there are a number of steps involved and there is a
> certain amount of assumed knowledge here. How do we establish a framework or
> template that lets are capture this so it is useful and usable to our users?

My approach would be to use the devices trees shipped by the hardware
vendor and fix our drivers if necessary. For example, I had to adjust
the Altera Cyclone V BSP for these modules:

https://www.enclustra.com/en/products/system-on-chip-modules/mars-ma3/

The device tree has a different clock structure compared to the Altera
Development Kit, so the update_clocks() function supports both:

https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/bsps/arm/altera-cyclone-v/start/bspstart.c#n79

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de