Device Tree Blob for Beaglebone Black?

Christian Mauderer christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Wed Mar 4 14:44:39 UTC 2020

On 04/03/2020 07:07, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 04/03/2020 05:55, Chris Johns wrote:
>>> I think for Boards that normally run a Linux it is a sane approach to
>>> just replace the Linux Kernel with a RTEMS binary and otherwise keep the
>>> boot process with for example U-Boot. Everything else is a lot of extra
>>> effort to implement and not necessary in a lot of situations.
>> Is there documentation about that shows this process for an existing
>> board?
>>
>> I get what you are saying and it make prefect sense and it would be no
>> issue for
>> me to do this however there are a number of steps involved and there is a
>> certain amount of assumed knowledge here. How do we establish a
>> framework or
>> template that lets are capture this so it is useful and usable to our
>> users?
>
> My approach would be to use the devices trees shipped by the hardware
> vendor and fix our drivers if necessary. For example, I had to adjust
> the Altera Cyclone V BSP for these modules:
>
> https://www.enclustra.com/en/products/system-on-chip-modules/mars-ma3/
>
> The device tree has a different clock structure compared to the Altera
> Development Kit, so the update_clocks() function supports both:
>
> https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/bsps/arm/altera-cyclone-v/start/bspstart.c#n79

Hello Sebastian,

note that the version delivered with a board is very undefined and it is
not necessarily the same for two boards with a different production
date. So it's quite hard to reproduce a special FDT that works together
with a special version of a BSP. So some method to archive them and say
"that BSP works with this FDT" isn't a bad idea.

Best regards

Christian

embedded brains GmbH
Herr Christian Mauderer