Waf Build System Status in RTEMS?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Mar 4 08:55:06 UTC 2020

On 25/02/2020 12:54, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 25/02/2020 11:00, Hesham Almatary wrote:

>>> I have discussed this merge with Joel. We have decided to release
>>> RTEMS 5 before
>>> we merge a new build system. A release with parallel build systems is
>>> confusing
>>> and distracting.
>>>
>> That makes sense to me. I think we should both try to push for an
>> RTEMS release soon, and make the waf/build
>> branch more stable and/or in the view (e.g., push as an experimental
>> branch) for developer to use until a release comes out. I understand
>> another branch would incur more maintaibility efforts, but it will
>> also help make the the new build system more usable.
>
> I can do a forced update of the "build" branch with my latest version
> based on rebase of the current master by the end of the week.
> Afterwards, I can do merges from the master instead of forced pushes.
> This should enable you to base your work on this branch. You can also
> send me patches.
>
> Before the new build system is integrated in the master, I will do a
> final rebase to the master and squash commits.

I did a forced push to the build branch today. It is based on the master
branch commit:

https://git.rtems.org/rtems/commit/?id=fa3005f6c1ddb99347acb70cbaecd155ed0356ed

I will not do another forced push to the build branch in the future and
instead do merges from the master to the build branch. I hope this helps
to use it for experimental work. After the RTEMS 5 release when the new
build system is ready to get integrated I will do a rebase and squash
the commits before I push them to the master.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de