Beaglebone Black USB-OTG/FDT Support GSOC

Christian Mauderer list at c-mauderer.de
Sun Mar 8 16:53:29 UTC 2020

On 08/03/2020 15:58, John kongtcheu wrote:
> Dear Dev Mailing list,
> I'm interested in work regarding peripherals and it seems like working
> on the beaglebone black projects would be something I would be be good
> at. I have experience working in embedded systems before, and I have my
> own BBB. I was curious if there was anyone willing to mentor for this
> project or if this project is a good idea at all.
> Thank you,

Hello John,

welcome to RTEMS. Please note that we require students to send in some
proof that they can build and run RTEMS on the hardware for the project.
See the GSoC Getting Started guide in the wiki.

Regarding your suggested project: I would love to see the USB-OTG
support working. But note that we already have a proposal to extend the
FDT support in BBB. And I'm not sure whether USB-OTG is really enough
for a whole GSoC.

Adding the USB-OTG support will be mostly a libbsd project and won't be
too peripheral oriented. It is more a question about how to analyze how
to set up an OTG device in FreeBSD and find out how that can be
implemented in RTEMS using libbsd.

Maybe you want to start by taking a short look at FreeBSD and how to set
up a USB-OTG device there. Depending on that there might could be topics
that are similar that would be a good match for the project. For example
if it is done via rc.conf: I think there are quite some other stuff that
could be added to rc.conf too (e.g. WLAN support; see Trac ticket #3222).

Best regards

Christian