Project Query for #3855 (BSP Buildset for EPICS)

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sun Mar 8 21:50:55 UTC 2020

On 9/3/20 3:23 am, Mritunjay Sharma wrote:
> First of all apologies for this period of inactivity due to my mid-sem tests and
> then being infected with viral fever.

I hope the tests went well and I am sorry to hear you have been ill.

> Having recovered now, I am working on the first draft of the GSoC proposal for
> #3855 and will be sharing the drive link for the same with the mentors for their
> suggestions by tomorrow. Before doing that, I would like to know a few things to
> fill my knowledge gaps.

Great.

> Firstly, It would be a great help if I can get the BSP Buildset documentation
> and also would it better to work this project as a vertically integrated
> buildset or EPICS can be built as a library?

A vertical integrated build set builds a package as a library so this is the
same thing. The doco is ...

https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/rsb/third-party-packages.html

The first step is to build EPICS by hand to understand the process. After this a
configuration (.cfg) file for the RSB can be created and then the package can be
added to the packages built set ...

https://git.rtems.org/rtems-source-builder/tree/rtems/config/5/rtems-packages.bset

Once we have a build set a simple example application can be added to
rtems-examples. A configure test would look for the EPICS library or libraries
and be built if present.

> Also, any particular hardware is also required?

I suggest a BSP like the Zedboard or MicroZed because the networking works with
qemu and with qemu you do not need hardware plus qemu it has good debugging support.