Project Query for #3855 (BSP Buildset for EPICS)

Mritunjay Sharma mritunjaysharma394 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 14:12:08 UTC 2020

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 9:17 PM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 7:31 AM Mritunjay Sharma
> <mritunjaysharma394 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you, Chris, for such a detailed description of my query.
> > Yes, sure. I would be more than happy to help with this fantastic idea
> proposed by Joel. I think I need to reschedule a few things in my proposal
> now. So before things start looking cleaner in my proposal, can we discuss
> more on our Bonus Project? Also, do I have to modify the title of the
> proposal now on https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2020 ?
> >

>> No you don't need to modify the title.
>> The bonus task would be to carry out similar activities:
>> * compile CFS by hand, create an RSB "recipe" to build it, then
>> integrate it with vertical buildset configuration.
>> * create vertical buildsets for PC, Raspberry Pi, and other boards.
>> ** EPICS community uses many powerpc boards so adding something there
>> would be good.
>> ** Adding buildsets for the commonly available simulators would be good.
>> My understanding is that building EPICS7 with RTEMS5 is currently
>> non-trivial. I have CC'd Heinz Junkes from EPICS community, and he has
>> agreed intention to co-mentor/advise this project. He is the main
>> person that has been doing work with EPICS7/RTEMS5 so this will be a
>> great resource to lean on.

         Since all the above-mentioned bonus tasks are similar in nature,
and since I am doing my research in creating vertical buildsets, I am ready
to work on each of them (even if some tasks remain in the current GSoC
timeline, I can work on them after it). Now that Gedare has given the
feedback to the first draft of my proposal, I would like the advice of all
on resetting my timelines. Link to the proposal is available on :
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2020 under the title BSP Buildset for
EPICS.
I also would like to request Heinz Junkes from EPICS community and members
of RTEMS to please help me out first to Build EPICS 7 from source with
RTEMS 5 so that I can accelerate up a bit with setting up the tools and
environment for the project.