RTEMS Docs: Adding GSoC Getting Started Instructions

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Mar 16 20:58:39 UTC 2020

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 12:56 PM Niteesh G. S. <niteesh.gs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am interested in taking up #3907. I'll mostly be copying and updating the contents from the old wiki site.
>
> I have the following plan in mind. I'll start working on it if you are happy with it.
>
> Add a new gsoc section in the user manual with contents
> from https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC (index.rst)
> Under this section, we'll have the following
> 1) GSoC getting started instructions (https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/GettingStarted)
> 2) Mentors list (https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/Mentors)
> 3) Previous year GSoC information under separate pages.

I think it should be separated somewhat. This GSoC stuff is not right
to put in the User Manual, except for the Getting Started guide. There
is the full "Quick Start"
https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/start/index.html#  that
may be too complicated for new users, but that area of the user manual
is probably where the simplified "GSoC" guide should live.

That said, I'd be OK with introducing a new "Learning with RTEMS"
Manual that covers both SoC, GCI, and maybe can be expanded over time.
As a kind of "beginner friendly / student-oriented" guide?