Improve the Raspberry Pi BSP

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Mar 18 15:33:31 UTC 2020

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 8:41 AM Denil Verghese <denilcv3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Mar, 2020, 7:43 PM Alan Cudmore, <alan.cudmore at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is probably not a comprehensive list, but currently all models except the Pi 4 are working thanks to Niteesh’s work on the uart for the Pi 3 and Zero W.
>>

>> I believe there is some support for GPIO, and I2C.
>>
>> I’m not sure about the state of SPI.
>>
>> There is also support for the graphics console, but I don’t know that state of that with the various Pi models as well.
>>

>> Finally, there was an effort to port libbsd to the Pi, but I don’t think it was completed.
>>

>> From what I know the Pi 4 is not supported at all yet.
>>

>> So there is still a lot of work to do, maybe too much for a single GSoC project.
>>
>> Maybe try to narrow the focus on something like:
>>
>> Libbsd and SMP support for the Raspberry Pi 3?
>
> That is a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Will this will be more useful than my current proposal?( Which is based on Release note generator and code formatter.).

They are two very different projects. You can continue to flesh out
both of them if you like, although we prefer a student to focus on one
proposal if you are not certain then it will be fine.

As before, to do the RPi projects you must have and demonstrate that
you can run RPi at least with baremetal if not with RTEMS.

I don't know if we'll have the bandwidth for multiple projects
involving libbsd, while the release note generator/formatter may be
somewhat easier to mentor. I haven't heard too much enthusiasm yet,
but if you write a strong proposal you may convince a mentor :)