Improve the Raspberry Pi BSP

Denil Verghese denilcv3 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 17:11:48 UTC 2020

On Wed, 18 Mar, 2020, 9:03 PM Gedare Bloom, <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 8:41 AM Denil Verghese <denilcv3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, 18 Mar, 2020, 7:43 PM Alan Cudmore, <alan.cudmore at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> This is probably not a comprehensive list, but currently all models
> except the Pi 4 are working thanks to Niteesh’s work on the uart for the Pi
> 3 and Zero W.
> >>

> >> I believe there is some support for GPIO, and I2C.
> >>
> >> I’m not sure about the state of SPI.
> >>
> >> There is also support for the graphics console, but I don’t know that
> state of that with the various Pi models as well.
> >>

> >> Finally, there was an effort to port libbsd to the Pi, but I don’t
> think it was completed.
> >>

> >> From what I know the Pi 4 is not supported at all yet.
> >>

> >> So there is still a lot of work to do, maybe too much for a single GSoC
> project.
> >>
> >> Maybe try to narrow the focus on something like:
> >>
> >> Libbsd and SMP support for the Raspberry Pi 3?
> >
> > That is a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
> >
> > Will this will be more useful than my current proposal?( Which is based
> on Release note generator and code formatter.).
> >

> They are two very different projects. You can continue to flesh out
> both of them if you like, although we prefer a student to focus on one
> proposal if you are not certain then it will be fine

I can't focus on two proposals at the same time. My intention was to change
my proposal if this makes a great contribution and will be interesting for
mentors.

> As before, to do the RPi projects you must have and demonstrate that
> you can run RPi at least with baremetal if not with RTEMS.
>
> I don't know if we'll have the bandwidth for multiple projects
> involving libbsd, while the release note generator/formatter may be
> somewhat easier to mentor. I haven't heard too much enthusiasm yet,
> but if you write a strong proposal you may convince a mentor :)

If that's the case, I will focus on my current proposal and will make it
strong as I can:). I need some clarification on how can I do formatting
part. Maybe start a new thread??