RFC: Exceptions to PEP-8 Adoption for RTEMS Tools

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Mar 18 17:30:07 UTC 2020

Hello all,

Sebastian has proposed some Python development guidelines for the
SWEng book, which is great and I'm even going to steal some of his
words here. I want to open the discussion for comments and requests
for changes to one specific point: Python Coding Style. I'm
specifically interested to hear from stakeholders including Chris
Johns as the de facto Tools maintainer, Amar Takhar, Sebastian Huber,
and anyone involved in the development of pre-qual tools intended for
RTEMS community adoption. Anyone else in the community that wants to
chime in is always certainly welcome.

Python is the main programming language for the RTEMS Tools. The rules
we choose will apply to new tools and should be possible to adapt
backward to existing tools. Python has good automatic code formatters
available. We will benefit by using them to the maximum extent
possible. This means we should aim to adopt a Python Coding Style as
close to existing well-used styles as possible. The current proposal
is essentially to adopt PEP-8
(https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/) directly.

I would like to open the discussion for any requests for exceptions to
PEP-8. Please make your comments with justification for the exception
and let's maintain a civil tone :) as usual. (If anyone wants to
reject PEP-8 in favor of something else, please provide justification
and show that the "something else" is widely supported by
formatters/checkers. We don't want to define any exotic formats that
require us to maintain our own formatter/checker infrastructure.)

Thanks,
Gedare