RFC: Exceptions to PEP-8 Adoption for RTEMS Tools

Christian Mauderer christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Thu Mar 19 06:07:34 UTC 2020

Hello Chris and Amar,

On 19/03/2020 04:01, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 19/3/20 7:06 am, Christian Mauderer wrote:
>> Hello Amar,
>>
>> On 18/03/2020 19:24, Amar Takhar wrote:
>>> The only one I would like to propose is the 80 character limit.  This should be
>>> moved to something more reasonable such as 120.
>>>
>>> Code comments should remain below 80 however.
>>>

>> I'm not a big fan of long lines (reason further below) but I won't block
>> it either. But what I think is really a bad idea is to have different
>> rules for different parts of the code.
>
> And different parts of the project.

Different parts of the project are far less difficult. In that case it's
mostly personal preference / set up of the personal development
environment. Like you noted: Mine isn't 120 characters too. But I could
live with it.

Again: The biggest problem that I see is the tools that will be
difficult to set up if we mix inside of the affected part.

>> I think we will have a really hard time to set up tools like formatters
>> or pylint to check and use these rules. I think setting a line length to
>> 120 should be easy to possible for nearly any tool. But I expect that
>> setting it to 120 for code and 80 for comments can be _very_ difficult
>> depending on the tool.
>>

>> PS: Reason for me being not a fan of long lines: While programming I
>> often use a split window. In that configuration my editor can show 112
>> columns in each window on my current screen. That fits well for nearly
>> all code that follows the 80 character convention. But for example your
>> proposed length of 120 the code will lead to either a smaller font, a
>> lot of random line breaks done by the editor or to loosing one window.
>> Again: It's not a strong opinion and I'll accept 120 too. But expect
>> that some others have stronger opinions about 80 characters.
>
> I run everything in text mode under tmux and in Emacs I split vertically and
> variable length is painful and prefer we settle on 80.

Maybe let's wait whether there are more opinions. Currently we have

- one clear vote for 120 lines (Amar)
- one clear vote for 80 lines (Chris)
- one a bit undecided with tendency to shorter lines (myself)

Best regards

Christian

> Chris

embedded brains GmbH