Describing relationship between rtems and gcc-cross compiler

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Sat Mar 21 16:03:44 UTC 2020

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020, 6:14 AM Utkarsh Rai <utkarsh.rai60 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am interested in updating the user's guide as described in
> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3912. When I had built RTEMS for the first
> time this was one of the questions I faced, so I guess adding this would be
> useful for new users.
> I think we could place the differences under quick-start section 2.4
> "Install the tool suite" as this is where the user would first come across
> the rtems cross-compiler.

A subsection there sounds reasonable to me.

I would like to know as to how long should the description be and what all
> are the differences that should be mentioned?

I think a paragraph or two with a bullet list of key points that is clearly
not guaranteed to be complete from the lead in text.

The ticket mentions some key points of difference and we should have given
you some when you asked this question. Between those, we probably have a
solid list.

Thanks for doing this one. I like answering questions with a URL to an
answer. :)

--joel