discussion related to source for porting headers and methods to RTEMS and newlib

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Mar 24 22:33:06 UTC 2020

email subject can be shortened. almost everything is a discussion :)

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 3:49 PM Eshan Dhawan <eshandhawan51 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I have identified sources to port headers and methods to RTEMS and Newlib. I have given priority to FreeBSD for the choice of source. But method not present in FreeBSD can be ported from alternative sources like NetBSD and musl.

Considering the simplicity, you may want to compare musl vs freebsd as well.

> -> Missing methods of math.h: I have compiled a list of methods and their sources. Some need to be implemented from scratch.
> list: Math.h missing functions
>
> -> sys/ipc.h: This header and its function can be ported from FreeBSD.
> ipc.h : https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/sys/ipc.h
> ftok.c: https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/lib/libc/gen/ftok.c
>
> ->fmtmsg.h: its implementation is also present in FreeBSD.
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/include/fmtmsg.h
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/lib/libc/gen/fmtmsg.c
>
> ->spawn.h: Its implementation is in FreeBSD.
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/lib/libc/gen/posix_spawn.c

I'm worried about the large number of includes there. It may easily
lead you to trouble chasing down transitive include headers, like what
happened with Vaibhav before with search.h support.

> -> pselect() from <sys/select.h> : its implementation is also from FreeBSD
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/lib/libc/sys/pselect.c
>
> -> confstr() from <unistd.h>: Its implementation is from FreeBSD
> https://github.com/udp/freebsd-libc/blob/master/gen/confstr.c.
>
> I would like everyone to review it and provide your suggestions.

include details in your proposal also.