Discussion regarding high-level interface for GSoC memory protection project.

Utkarsh Rai utkarsh.rai60 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 11:25:42 UTC 2020

Hi,
My GSoC project proposal
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AawmqbfCpRDHZ4cO5-UE1J7VacubNWmn3kae4rlPrZA/edit?usp=sharing>
intended for
providing thread-stack protection involves implementation on two levels,
providing low-level hardware support for the target architecture and
high-level architecture-independent APIs. As @Peter Dufault
<dufault at hda.com> pointed to me in my draft the POSIX  compliant way of
doing it would be through mmap, I would request your feedback on the
details of the high-level implementation of thread-stack protection.
My idea is to obtain the stack attributes of the thread that is to be
mapped by pthread_attr_getstack() and then get a file descriptor of the
memory using posix_typed_mem_open() and finally mmap that to the stack of
the required thread(With the specified permissions).
  Is this is a valid approach? If yes, I believe I would have to add the
implementation of       posix_typed_mem_open() to my work plan as RTEMS
does not support it as of now.

Regards,
Utkarsh Rai.