Traceability from specification to source code?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Mar 30 18:52:24 UTC 2020

Hello Gedare,

On 30/03/2020 18:17, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> This question is related to
> https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2019-September/055519.html
> about code annotations, and similar discussion raised there applies
> here.

thanks for referencing this thread. Unfortunately, the outcomes of this
thread are not written down in the Software Engineering Manual
(definitely our fault). I read the thread again, but I think the
situation here is a bit different.

For the traceability between source code and the specification we likely
don't need additional complex third-party tools (I depends a bit if we
want to use a C statement as a scope for an annotation for example, but
this is more a comfort feature). Also in contrast to the annotations for
the formal methods tools, the link annotations are simple and you don't
need expert knowledge to understand them. The formal methods support is
optional for a pre-qualification and only required for higher
criticality categories. The traceability, however, is a basic
requirement of the standards. This is something we have establish,
otherwise there will be no RTEMS Qualification project at all.