RTEMS 5 Release status

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri May 1 04:07:04 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020, 7:28 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are down to 4 remaining tickets. Many thanks to everyone for all the
> hard work getting to this point. It is appreciated.
>
> The remaining tickets need to be closed or moved before I can branch the
> repos. The milestone page is ...
>
> https://devel.rtems.org/milestone/5.1
>
> ... so please have a look and help if you can.
>
> Release Change Notes
> --------------------
>
> Joel has asked for a high level list of changes to be added to the
> release information. He would like this to be a community effort.
>
> We have the detailed release notes created from the Trac tickets for the
> release so this is suppose to be something high level.
>
> Please create or add to a file called rtems-notes-5.txt as markdown in
> the releases repo ...
>
>   https://git.rtems.org/rtems-release/
>
> Either push the changes or send a patch to this list and I will merge
> them. I will add support to place this text in the generated README once
> it exists. If there is no file at the time of the release no support
> will be added.

The type of high level info should include ports and BSPs added or removed,
removed APIs, added APIs, some info on SMP changes, language support
improvements, static objects, libdebugger, tracing, dynamic loading,
testing improvements, and more.

I'm hoping those most involved with the features can add that type of info.
Let folks know what all goodness happened.

> Tickets
> -------
>
> New:
>
> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3962
>
> I will not be involved in this ticket or driving it and will wait for it
> to be closed or moved before we branch. Please help.

I've posted a patch to this. You pointed out some minor issues that I will
fix. If someone has something to say, please speak up. Otherwise, I hope to
close it tomorrow.

> Assigned:
>
> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2962
>
> This ticket has no owner. Please review this ticket and help out. I
> added to the comments that heapwalk with RTEMS_DEBUG fails. Is this
> important?

The goal of this ticket is not a blocker.

I would guess that debug enables the fence and that confuses heap walk.

Heap walk plus debug is not a blocker. Move the ticket's milestone unless
someone fixes it quick IMO.

> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3813
>
> I am working on this and should have it resolved soon.

Good. Two will close naturally.

> Reopened:
>
> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3800
>
> I do not know the status of this ticket or what should happen.

Sebastian needs to answer if his commit noted on the ticket resolved the
issue. If so, it closes. If not, we need to decide if it is a blocker.

--joel